Monday, April 16, 2012

From Pittsburgh to Chicago to the Great Plains.

Today we made it safely across the Mississippi headed back toward home, not many pictures were taken, my copilot is a tired little boy. Pittsburgh was neat as we left town the weather turned foul and it was raining most of the way to Chicago but the toll roads were clear and driving was easy. We spent more money at toll plazas that we did on fuel. We spent $16.5o to drive along I-80 near Youngstown, Ohio to the Westgate along the Indiana border. Indiana was not as bad only $7.50 to drive from East to West. Illinois was a bit different still toll roads but in Illinois you pay before you get on the road instead of after you already traveled. All total to get out of Chicago I think we paid nearly $15 between the tollways in Chicago and along I-88. All told our first toll road experiences in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois were pleasant. The traffic was not nearly as crazy as places like Dallas and Atlanta but it comes at a price. The tolls cost as much as a tank of fuel for small cars. There are ways that are free of tolls but it also puts you several hours out of the way.

The area of Chicago we visited is wonderful. All of the homes were ones that I would most likely never be able to afford. I certainly felt out of place but our hosts were some of the nicest people I have ever met. We stayed with my Wife's great uncle and his wife. We were greeted warmly, given a warm bed and taken to dinner. It was very welcome after living in hotels for the last 10 days. Dinner was at the Jade Dragon in Hinsdale, Il. The service was excellent and incredibly fast, Chinese restaurants tend to serve you fast but this place was incredibly so. Joey ordered the Sweet and sour chicken and I ordered the Chicken Chow Fun. Both were delicious. I've found that you can tell many things about a Chinese restaurant by the way they cook Chow Fun. It is said that Chow Fun is one of the tests of a quality chef. I can say that this is some great Chow Fun. I've eaten Chow Fun in at least fifty different Chinese restaurants and this is in my top 3. The other two are China Garden in Fresno, CA, on Blackstone near Ashlan and Jade Garden which has been closed for nearly ten years. If you ever find yourself in Hinsdale/Burr Ridge, I would recommend visiting the Jade Dragon near Historic Downtown Hinsdale.

After a wonderful breakfast from our hosts, Joey and I left Chicago. We didn't want to and our host offered to have us stay longer but home is calling us. We got back on the I-55 and headed up toward the I-88 tollway. Tolls along the I-55 and I-88 run about $1.50 to $2 until you get out into the Aurora area, then the tolls increase to around $3.60 because of the mileage you are driving between toll booths. We waited until we were well outside Chicago to fuel up. Fuel was in the $4.10-4.50 a gallon for regular. The cheapest fuel we found was $3.61 in Iowa. Near Rock Falls the I-88 tollway ends and the road is free again (much to my relief) shortly thereafter it merges with I-80. This is good for Joey and I. I =80 runs straight to Reno, only minutes from home. The Crossing of the Mississippi was cool. The I-80 follows the path of the early settlers along the California trail. Once again we are retracing our history on the highways of America.

The drive through Iowa was beautiful. I expected flat land but I don't think there was a flat stretch of land anywhere between the Mississippi River and Omaha, NE. The farms were what you would expect, neatly plowed fields or stubble fields with picturesque farm houses and barns. Nebraska was much the same until Lincoln. From that points things have flattened rapidly.

That is enough for tonight. I'll continue this tomorrow night and post some pictures. Night all -Mike and Joey.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Mike. Glad that you're eating well. Toll roads? I've only ever paid for crossing bridges in California. Benecia and Golden Gate if I remember right? All is well here. Looking forward to hearing your detailed AAR when back at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toll roads Sir. In Pennsylvania the I-70 and I-76 (The Pennsylvania Turnpike) are tollways, In Ohio, I-76 and I-80 (The Ohio Turnpike) are tollways. I-80 through Indiana is a tollway and most of the Interstate highways near Chicago are tollways, the I-80, 55 and 88 among many others. It's weird though. You can see many of the old on and off ramps, those still paved are blocked off and monitored.

    ReplyDelete